About Flor Mayoral.
Her first photographs from the late seventies and beginning of the eighties address the private space from the aesthetics of the family photo album. These are scenes that capture the intimacy and the habits of domestic life, narrated with images encrypted in autobiography. In the nineties, she develops a special interest in natural themes and landscape photos in general. This interest coincides with a greater control, on the part of the author, of the techniques and tools of scientific digital photography applied to plant photography and other natural or artificial elements.
These images, which contain natural elements in the foreground, are influenced by the work of modern-day authors such as Imogen Cunninghan. This is when she begins her exploration of the expressive possibilities of the portrait. Towards the end of the nineties and the beginning of 2000, the theme of the city, its architecture and its urbanology as a stage for the contradictory relationship between individuality and overcrowding, begins to take a leading role in her work, where the influence of Jeff Wall can be appreciated. These are works that “look”, in a sort of voyeuristic style, at the gestures and attitudes either of individuals or of a group; they speak to us of life in the cities of our time.
Already in the XXI century, Flor Mayoral performs a deep immersion in contemporary portraiture photography, making this genre the poetical support of her photographic project. She investigates the mechanisms of the expressionist language of the portrait in works like those of Thomas Struff, taking it to its ultimate expressive aesthetic consequences.
Selective blindness is optional. Behold what most of us choose not to see.Flor Mayoral - Photographer
Her portraits in extreme close-ups “document”, from a forensic visual perspective, the most absolute expressiveness of the face, its most absolute reality enriching our psychological perception of the picture. Her photographic project, Before (Now) After, can be viewed as her most personal work; one with an instinctive mastery of the symbolic capital of contemporary photography. It also constitutes a risky and audacious conceptual proposal on the updating on the genre of the portrait in postmodernity.
- Flor Mayoral (Havana, 1955). Resides and works in Miami.
- Bachelors in Science in Pharmacology from the University of Florida – 1976
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Florida – 1981
- Specialization in Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery: University of Miami – 1985
Competitions and Awards
Palm Beach Photographic Centre 13th Annual Juried Exhibition – 2009
- ‘Some Rest for the Weary’
- ‘April Shower’
- ‘To Each his Own’
Palm Beach Photographic Centre 14th Annual Juried Exhibition – 2010
- ‘No Way Out’
Palm Beach Photographic Centre 15th Annual Juried Exhibition -2011
- ‘The Offering’
- ‘Agave Plant’
International Shutterbug Society ‘Best in Show’ Awards 2008-2009:
- Theme: Flowers or Plants
- ‘Red Waterlily’
- Theme: Palm Trees
- ‘Primitive Crown’
- Theme: Open
- Theme: Streetlamps
- ‘Streetlamp in silhouette’
Kendall Camera Club (KCC) Awards:
- Theme: People at Play
- Best in show:“Praying for an Ace”
- Theme: The Human Face
- Secondplace:‘Ebony Goddess’
- Theme: Doorways and Entrances
- Thirdplace:“Some Rest for the Weary”
KCC Annual Awards 2010
- Most Artistic Print of the Year
- “Ascent to light”
- Best Street Photograph of the Year
- “To Each his Own”
KCC Annual Awards 2011
- Best Photojournalistic Print
- “Discarded Life”
COLLECTIVE EXHIBITIONS (selection)
- 2015 ‘Silence Project’ installation. Arts + Entertaiment District. Miami, FL
- 2014 ‘Ciudades de Mar’. Latin-American Art Pavilion, Red Dot Fair; Art Basel. Miami Beach, FL
- 2014 ‘In Focus 18th Annual Juried Exhibition’. Palm Beach Photographic Centre. West Palm Beach, FL v
- 2013 G&S Alternative Space. Hollywood, FL
- 2013 ‘Contemporary Photography’. Jorge Sori Fine Art. Coral Gables, FL
- 2011 ‘In Focus 15th Annual Juried Exhibition’. Palm Beach Photographic Centre. West Palm Beach, FL
- 2009 ‘Art Box’. Voices for Children Foundation. Miami FL
- 2007 ‘Tropical Colors’. Three Art Studio. Key Largo, FL
- 2006 ‘Encounter with Nature’. Luzma Gallery. Miami, FL
- 2016 ‘Entre Dos Aguas: La Habana – Miami – Valencia’. Sala de la Lonja del Pescado, Ayuntamiento de Alicante. Alicante, Spain.
- 2015 ‘Through the Women’s Eyes’. New Professions Technical Institute’s Art Gallery. Miami, FL
- 2015 ‘Transgrediendo Fronteras’. Fototeca de Cuba, Havana Vieja, Cuba.
- 2015 ‘Entre Dos Aguas: La Habana – Miami – Valencia’. Sala San Miguel, Fundación Caja Castellón, Consorcio de Museos de la Comunitat Valenciana. Castellón de la Plana, Spain.
- 2015 ‘Entre Dos Aguas: La Habana – Miami – Valencia’. Centro del Carmen, Consorcio de Museos de la Comunitat Valenciana, Spain.
- 2014 ‘Silence Project’ Installation in Wynwood, FL
- 2014 ‘Art & Public Spaces – Concrete Footprints’. TUB Gallery. Miami, FL
- 2013 ‘Pisa-Coral Gables: Ciudades Imaginadas | 2103’. Coral Gables Museum. Miami, FL
- 2011 ‘Peace Love World Does Art Basel’. Coral Gables, FL
- 2010 ‘Bird Road Art District Walk’. Aperture Studios. Miami, FL
- 2010 ‘Wildlife Exhibition’. Miami Center benefiting Metro Zoo. Miami FL